We here at Kudos® love celebrating every holiday to reinforce our corporate culture and engage our team. Saint Patrick’s Day is one of our favourites because it’s free-spirited and you can get really creative with the theme! I did a little research to find ideas that would work with our culture and found so many that I thought it would be selfish not to pass them on. Listed below are four main ways to bring some Saint Patty’s Day fun to your team. Don’t forget that you can use your Kudos Announcements feature and/or a Custom Page to inform your team about the event!
- Take a trip to your local dollar store and get streamers, hats, signs, and anything else you can find in the seasonal section. Let the team pick a few items they want to use to decorate their desks and offices.
- Buy green props, such as glasses or necklaces, for everyone to wear; someone is sure to forget to wear something green!
- Change your Kudos account theme colour to green for the day. You can also create St. Patty’s Day stickers or sidebar images for the month of March.
- Decorate your main lobby area and break room; it’s a great way to show visitors that your team enjoys working there. You can take a more subtle approach by replacing your regular decor items with green or Irish-themed items.
- Find a radio station that streams traditional Irish folk music and play it in the office.
- Alternatively, create a cool playlist from your The Pogues, The Cranberries, The Drop Kick Murphys, or U2 albums.
- Is there a team member who can play the flute or the fiddle and knows Irish tunes? A musical performance before a town hall meeting would be a great way to showcase hidden talents!
- Any foodies on your team? A potluck (or should we say a pot o’ luck?) for a team lunch is bound to be a success. A few ways to incorporate the theme would be to have typical Irish cuisine like a stew or corned beef, prepare any food with green dye or decorated with clovers, or make cute Saint Patrick’s Day treats.
- You can also have the main dish catered in, and invite the team to bring treats or drinks.
- Make a green minty lime punch, mint-vanilla milkshakes. If appropriate, have traditional Irish beers, such as Guinness or Harp to end the day.
Games & Contests
- Invite everyone to wear green, and award the team member wearing the most green, or the best leprechaun costume. Have someone teach an Irish line dance (or just play a video from Youtube), then have a jig dance off!
- Have everyone change their Kudos profile picture to a St. Patrick’s Day theme and award the best or funniest picture.
- Play an Irish history trivia game, a game of Charades or Pictionary with Irish words, or a good ol’ scavenger hunt for the pot o’ gold!
- Reward your winners with a pot o’ gold with chocolate coins. Better yet, create a leprechaun Badge to award your contest and game winners extra Kudos points!
So, what do you think? We hope that these ideas have at least inspired some ideas of your own. Don’t let the luck o’ the Irish pass you by without a good bash to engage your team and build lasting friendships!
Next up, I’ll be sharing ideas on how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in the office. Start practicing your mariachi dance, ‘cause it’s gonna be a fiesta!
Kudos® is an employee engagement, culture, and analytics platform, that harnesses the power of peer-to-peer recognition, values reinforcement, and open communication to help organizations boost employee engagement, reduce turnover, improve culture, and drive productivity and performance. Kudos® uses unique proprietary methodologies to deliver essential people analytics on culture, performance, equity, and inclusion, providing organizations with deep insights and a clear understanding of their workforce.Talk to Sales